Thought for the summer:


"I think you thought there was no such place for you, and perhaps there was none then, and perhaps there is none now; but we will have to make it, we who want an end to suffering, who want to change the laws of history, if we are not to give ourselves away."

-- Adrienne Rich

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Teaching: War is Not a Game



We're currently playing World War II as a game.  Two weeks ago, I asked each of my 7th and 8th graders to choose a country by sitting in the chair behind a placard, and they've been role-playing the Axis and Allied powers each day since, rolling dice for battles, shouting out the "secret powers" that give them extra points.  The kid playing Germany yells out, "Dictator who will stop at nothing, for two extra points!"  Canada grins.  "I've got 'millions who want to serve' for one extra point, and France has 'free French Vichy fighters in the south' for another point".  The strategies begin as the kids enter the classroom.  "I think it's 1941 today.  Pearl Harbor happens now, doesn't it?  That means the U.S. might enter the war."

Like everything about teaching, this may or may not be an effective approach to learning about World War II.  While we're not repeating my own dismal middle school experience of memorizing battle names and dates, victors and generals, I worry I'm making war feel like too much of a game.  It's fun, which isn't the message I want to convey about global conflict.

So we took a break from the game yesterday to read and view primary sources from the Library of Congress collection about Japanese Internment in the U.S.  Ansel Adams' and Dorothea Lange's photographs silenced the kids.  This happened here?  In the U.S.?  We read FDR's Executive Order 9066.  This was okay to do?  What about the Constitution?

I asked them, "Could this happen again?" and in every class someone said yes.  "To whom?"  Maybe Muslims.  Maybe people from the Arab world.  Maybe gay and lesbian people?  Maybe immigrants.  The list grew as the kids imagined the ways in which certain groups could become enemies of the state.  I allowed the conversation to continue not because I want them to become paranoid, but because I want them to think critically.  

We're protected from that happening again, though, right?

It's happening now, I wanted to say.  In Guantanamo Bay.  At the Mexican border.  In Palestine.  In Ferguson.  Behind prison bars, inside detention centers.  In Alabama's resistance to same-sex marriage.  
What I said:  Keep asking questions.  Question everything.  Keep your eyes open.  

Today, we returned to our World War II game, to the final year: 1945.  The dice battles were raucous again, and the score in every class between the Allies and the Axis was close.  It felt more like a basketball game than anything, with the Allies cheering when they forced a German retreat, and again when the Soviets encircled Berlin.  "I'll use my secret power of 'Location in the Pacific'!" Australia announced in a battle with Japan, and Japan shot back, "Then I'll use my power of 'Kamikaze pilots'!"  One point here, one point there.  

And then, in every class, the kid portraying the U.S. looked at his or her card and said, "I'm going to use my secret power that wasn't ready until now.  The atomic bomb, for fifty points."  And in every class, the kids reacted to this with stunned silence.  Well.  The war was over.  And?  The game had changed.

We ended by reading an excerpt from Dr. Michihiko Hachiya's firsthand account of the Hiroshima bombing.  I let Hachiya's words linger in the room.  "It was all a nightmare -- my wounds, the darkness, the road ahead."  

My students left class quietly, subdued.  

War is not a game.  But maybe two weeks of role-playing these countries and the events of WWII made the end seem more personal, more real.  Maybe that was the reason for the silence when the atomic bomb was finally played in our game.  Or maybe -- for a flash of a moment -- the kids understood that none of these events are fictional, that all of this really happened, inthis world, in the world they are in the process of inheriting.

Keep asking questions.  Question everything.  Keep your eyes open.

No comments:

Post a Comment