Thought for the summer:


"I think you thought there was no such place for you, and perhaps there was none then, and perhaps there is none now; but we will have to make it, we who want an end to suffering, who want to change the laws of history, if we are not to give ourselves away."

-- Adrienne Rich

Monday, October 7, 2013

Movie recommendation, "Kiss Me" (2011, Sweden)

On a more positive note than I've been writing (but WHO is reading these words, anyway?), a movie recommendation:  I watched the 2011 Swedish film "Kiss Me" this weekend, and loved it.  Two women become connected because Mia's father marries Frida's mother -- and they find they are irresistibly drawn to each other.  This is complicated by the fact that Mia is engaged to be married to a man in a matter of weeks.

The story is beautiful, passionate (sexy!), and the landscape of Sweden is lonely and wistful, windblown -- exactly the kind of place where snuggling into bed in the white-gold light of early morning sounds exquisite.  One of my favorite scenes is a nod to the mythical mermaid, a moment when Frida and Mia jump into a pool in the woods and find each other beneath that glassy surface.

I've added this film to my list of "Best Lesbian Films".  Here are the others:

1.  "Unveiled"  (Iran)
2.  "Purple Sea"  (Italy)
3.  "When Night is Falling" (Canada)
4.  "Aimee and Jaguar" (Germany)
5.  "The Secrets" (Israel)
6.  "The World Unseen" (South Africa/UK)
7.  "I Can't Think Straight" (UK)
8.  "Orlando" (UK)
9.  "Tipping the Velvet" (UK)
10.  "A Marine's Story" (USA)
11.  "A Room in Rome" (Spain)
12.  "Fire" (Canada/India)
13.  "Kiss Me" (Sweden)

What else, mysterious readers of my blog?  What other movies are as good as these?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your posts, Sarah.
    I was thinking about you again last night and the complexity of your the grief you face. It's no wonder it takes so long. There's no timeline and no script to follow in this life. Our stories would make movies no one would even believe.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah. Just discovered your blog through your Amazon author page--congratulations on the new release! I look forward to reading more of your work. Wanted to say that I couldn't agree with you more about "Kiss Me," though I think it and "When Night is Falling" are my top two after "Fried Green Tomatoes," a perennial fav. "Imagine Me and You" is another, but then I admit to not being the most discriminating of film fans... Good luck with writing, and know that there are people out there reading you.

    Best,
    Kate Christie
    katechristie.wordpress.com

    P.S. One of my good friends in Bellingham, WA, went to Luther. Small world.

    ReplyDelete